Monday 26 March 2012

Plant Storage

Rationale

POTS
Shape – symbolic of stones, and how plants grow through cracks
Colour – natural pebble colour
Size – medium sized pot which is suitable for small plants, flowers and herbs. These are the most common types of plant residents in medium to high-density housing would like
Claws – Mimic the way animals (the aardvark in particular) latch onto objects and dig their nails into trees to climb
Material – I used a plastic, but in production I would use clay. Clay is a natural material that has a beautiful texture and can be easily moulded into many shapes.

FRAME
Height – maximum height is 900mm but can be decreased if the consumer wishes. The pots can be placed anywhere on the stand due to its unique clawing system
Material – I used pine wood because it is light and is a suitable alternative to MDF
Colour – to protect the pine wood I used a decking oil, which would protect the pine from the elements. The pine wood did not need too much treatment however because most balconies are under cover
Wall mounted – During my research I found floor space was precious and makes watering plants annoying. Therefore the frame can be mounted if desired by consumer
Shelf – I have included a small shelf where one can store a small watering can or small candle perhaps






6 comments:

  1. I really like this design. The organic shape, the natural colour and the natural clay texture really complement one another. I also like that your inspiration really shines through. Perhaps it would be exciting to experiment with using real rocks and hollowing them out. Good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this is design is really nice, I like how you applied the texture and form of a pebble as well as the concept of plants sprouting from the crack between rocks. the only suggestion is maybe have the crack on the other side-for more variety. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see the biomorphic aspects coming through in this design. Their organic nature is nice to look at and functions well as a plant storage system. Perhaps work on the claw to be more integrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well designed bio design can see the aspects of this through the shape and form of the model. the attachment piece could be a little more integrated

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really nice organic shape, i think the use of a polished porcelain would look amazing in this design, i agree with the other comments about integrating the claw fitting, Beautiful shape, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I love the idea. the whole concept of 'plants sprouting through rocks' is something that would never cross my mind and I really like the direction that you have taken it.
    I too think a claw fitting would be appropriate for this design, that way it wouldn't detract from the beautiful pots you have made.

    ReplyDelete